Iqaluit International Airport Improvement
Ensuring the Success of Critical Infrastructure in Remote Regions
Nunavut is a unique, northern Canadian territory composed of a series of islands and communities. Airports are the only all-season transportation links to this region, making this project a necessary component to life in Nunavut.
Located in the capital city of Nunavut, the new Iqaluit International Airport will replace the original 1940 Frobisher Bay Air Force airport, and will continue to play a strategic technical support role for both military and civilian aviation.
Arctic Infrastructure Partners, formed by Bouygues Building Canada, InfraRed Capital Partners Limited, Sintra and Winnipeg Airports Authority, have developed an innovative, flexible and functional design for the new Airport, that integrates spaces for revenue generation including retail, and food and beverage outlets.
The project will include the construction of a new airport building, expanded aprons for planes to park, new lighting systems, an upgraded runway, and a new combined-services building that will house the fire-fighting vehicles/support equipment, and heavy runway and apron maintenance equipment. The construction of this project is anticipated to begin in 2014 with completion scheduled for 2017.
Client: Government of Nunavut (“GN”)
Owner’s Representative: Partnerships BC
Consortium: Infrared, BBC, Sintra, Winnipeg Airport Authority (WAA)
Construction: JV BBC-Sintra
- Stantec: full scope except specialties below
- EBA: Geotechnical
- RWDI: Snow & Wind modeling
Operations, Maintenance and Lifecycle: Winnipeg Airport Authority (WAA)
Scope of Work: Design-Build-Finance-Operate-Maintain for a duration of 30 years + construction
Design and Construction Scope:
- New Terminal Building (ATB) of approximately 10 000m² (Leed Certified)
- New Combined Service Building of approximately 4500m²
- Taxiway/Apron extension, new taxiway, runway repairs and resurfacing for a total pavement area of approximately 400 000m²; Runway lighting and airside electrical upgrades
- Equipment: BHS
- Financial Close: September 10, 2013
- Construction activities on Site: June 2014 - September 2017